Moist low-carb bread with bursts of delicious apples mixed with fragrant spices is a perfect gluten-free, healthy option for a breakfast or snack. This bread uses almond flour and flaxseed meal. Flaxseed has numerous health benefits due to its omega 3, plant estrogen, antioxidant, and fiber content. Almond flour is a gluten-free, healthy, and versatile ingredient in baking.
Health Benefits of Ground Flaxseed
The best plant source of omega-3 fats, particularly alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), flaxseeds are also rich in fiber and lignans, a type of phytoestrogens. Use ground flaxseeds for better digestion and absorption.
Phytoestrogens are plant nutrients that help balance estrogen and are helpful in relieving menopausal symptoms, protecting our heart and bones, and reducing breast cancer risk. They are found in varying degrees in legumes, seeds, grains, fruits and vegetables, sprouts, and herbs and spices. The types of phytoestrogens are:
- Isoflavones: concentrated in legumes such as soya (tofu, soy milk, miso), lentil, beans, chickpeas
- Lignans: best sources are flaxseeds and sesame seeds
- Coumestans: found in alfalfa sprouts, soybean sprouts, mung bean sprouts
Health Benefits of Phytoestrogens May Include:
- Balance estrogen
- Alleviate menopausal symptoms
- Reduce total and LDL (bad) cholesterol
- Lower blood pressure
- Reduce breast cancer risk
- Prevent osteoporosis
Health Benefits of Almond
Particularly rich in vitamin E and magnesium, almonds may help reduce heart disease and diabetes risk factors. Use almond flour in baking for better nutritional content than traditional wheat flour. Almond flour is a gluten-free, low-carb, and versatile ingredient in baking. Find many delicious recipes made with almond flour by clicking on this page Nuts.
Nuts are rich sources of vitamin E, magnesium, selenium and essential fatty acids. The American Heart Association recommends eating about four servings of unsalted nuts a week. One serving is a small handful (1.5 ounces) of whole nuts or 2 Tablespoons of nut butter. It’s also easy to eat nuts by using nut flour in baking or sprinkle chopped nuts in salads, muffins, or bread.
Health Benefits of Nuts May Include:
- Lower total and LDL cholesterol
- Reduce the risk of heart disease
- Improve glycemic control in people with type II diabetes
- Help maintain a healthy weight
Ingredients for Apple Flaxseed Bread
Serving Size: 8
Ingredients for the Batter
- Blanched almond flour, 2 Cups
- Golden flaxseed meal, ½ Cup
- Low carb granular sweetener, ½ Cup
- Baking soda, ¾ teaspoon
- Nutmeg, ½ teaspoon
- Sea salt, ½ teaspoon
- Avocado oil, 4 Tablespoon
- Eggs, large, 4
- Almond milk or milk of your choice, ½ Cup
- Vanilla extract, 2 teaspoon
- Apple cider vinegar, 1 and ½ teaspoon
Ingredients for the Apple Cinnamon Mix
- Low-carb brown sweetener, ½ Cup
- Cinnamon, 2 teaspoon
- Firm apples, chopped, 2 Cups (Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, Fuji, Pink Lady are good choices)
Instructions for Apple Flaxseed Bread
- Peel and chop apples. In a bowl, mix low-carb brown sweetener, cinnamon, and apple. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 177˚C or 350˚F.
- In a large bowl, mix almond flour, flaxseed meal, granular sweetener, baking soda, nutmeg, and sea salt.
- In another bowl, mix wet ingredients including avocado oil, eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and apple cider vinegar.
- Blend dry and wet ingredients thoroughly to make a thick batter. Don’t overmix.
- Put half of the batter in a greased loaf pan (8.5 by 4.5 inches). Add in half of the apple cinnamon mix to the batter. Repeat the step by putting the rest of the batter and apple cinnamon mix to the top.
- Bake the bread for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cover the top with aluminum foil if the surface becomes too brown.
- Cool completely before slicing the bread.
Storage Instructions for Leftovers
You can store the leftover bread in an air tight container upto one week or freeze the bread upto 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge. Bring the bread to room temperature and toast the slices before serving.
Watch How to Make This Recipe
Other Low-Carb, Gluten-Free Baking Recipes
- Almond Flaxseed Bread
- Banana Flaxseed Bread
- Carrot Cupcake
- Lemon Loaf
- Lemon Poppyseeds Muffins
- Raspberry Muffins