Crispy chicken thighs and chickpeas baked in one pan are a quick and flavorful dish, full of healthy spices, protein, and phytoestrogens to help you balance hormones and improve your heart and bone health.
Health Benefits of Chickpeas
Chickpeas are a rich source of phytoestrogens, protein, and fiber. Phytoestrogens are plant nutrients that help balance estrogen and are helpful in relieving menopausal symptoms, protecting our heart and bones, and reducing breast cancer risk. They are found in varying degrees in legumes, seeds, grains, fruits and vegetables, sprouts, and herbs and spices.
Types of Phytoestrogens
- Isoflavones: concentrated in legumes such as soya (tofu, soy milk, miso), lentil, beans, chickpeas
- Lignans: best sources are flax seeds and sesame seeds
- Coumestans: alfalfa sprouts and mung bean sprouts
Ingredients for Chicken and Chickpeas
Serving Size: 4
- Chicken thighs, skin on, 800 gram
- Garlic, minced, 1 Tablespoon
- Onion, 1/2 medium, chopped
- Sea salt, 3/4 teaspoon, divided
- Ground black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon
- Smoked paprika, 1 Tablespoon
- Ground cumin, 1 teaspoon
- Coriander, 1 teaspoon
- Oregano, 1/4 teaspoon
- Avocado oil, 2 Tablespoon
- Canned chickpeas, rinsed, 14 0z
- Lemon juice, 1 Tablespoon
- Parsley for garnish
- Lemon wedges for garnish
Instructions for Chicken and Chickpeas
1.Chop onion and mince garlic. Set aside.
2.Pat dry chicken thighs with paper towel and cut into medium sized pieces.
3.Preheat the oven to 220˚C (425˚F).
4.In a large bowl, mix sea salt (1/2 teaspoon), ground black pepper, smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, and oregano. Add avocado oil to the spice mix. Blend well with chicken thighs.
5.Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook minced garlic and chopped onions until soft. Set aside.
6.In the same pan, brown the chicken thighs on the skin side first for a few minutes. Flip to the other side and cook for a few minutes.
7.Add canned chickpeas, garlic, and onion to the pan. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt. Put the entire pan in the oven for 20 minutes.
8.Take out the pan from the oven. Squeeze fresh lemon juice. Garnish with parsley and lemon wedges and serve.
Watch how to make Chicken and Chickpeas
Other Recipes with Phytoestrogens
- Almond Flaxseed Bread
- Apple Flaxseed Bread
- Avocado Hummus
- Banana Flaxseed Bread
- Crispy Chickpea Salad
- Easy Mapo Tofu
- Eggplant Chickpea Stew
- Eggplant Lentil Salad with Miso Dressing
- Miso Glazed Eggplant
- Salt and Pepper Tofu
- Sweet and Sour Tofu