A hearty stew with caramelized eggplants, chickpeas, and fragrant spices is a perfect vegetarian dish for hormone balance and optimal health.
Serving size: 6
Ingredients for Eggplant Chickpea Stew
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Eggplant, chopped, 3 Cups
- Onion, diced, 1 Cup
- Garlic, 2 Tablespoon, minced
- Carrot, diced, 1 Cup
- Bell pepper, diced, 1 Cup
- Paprika, 1 teaspoon
- Oregano, 1 teaspoon
- Cumin, 1 teaspoon
- Coriander, 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric, ½ teaspoon
- Cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon
- Sea salt, 1 teaspoon
- Ground black pepper, ½ teaspoon
- Strained tomato, 500 gram
- Canned chickpeas, 15 oz, washed and drained
- Vegetable broth or water, 1 Cup
- Parsley for garnish
Instructions for Eggplant Chickpea Stew
- Cut eggplants into bite sized pieces. Soak them in cold water and sprinkle with sea salt to remove bitterness from eggplants. Dice other vegetables and mince garlic.
- Take eggplants out of the water after 15 minutes, drain, and pat them dry.
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C (375˚F).
- Grease a dutch oven or oven proof pot with olive oil. Brown eggplants. Add diced onion and minced garlic and cook them until soft. Add carrot and bell pepper and cook until tender for about five minutes.
- Add more olive oil and cook spices until fragrant.
- Add tomato, canned chickpeas, and vegetable broth. Stir it and bring to a simmer for five more minutes.
- Close the lid and transfer the pot to the oven. Bake it for 30 minutes or until all vegetables are cooked. Adjust the amount of broth or water if it is too dry.
- Take the stew out of the oven. Drizzle with more olive oil and sprinkle chopped parsley.
Watch How to Make This Recipe