A tofu stir fry with bell pepper and broccoli in a gluten-free, sugar-free sauce is a quick, satisfying, and nutrient-dense meal. Tofu is from soya beans and is especially rich in phytoestrogens. Soya contains two isoflavone compounds called genistein and daidzein and is considered to be a complete protein. Serve the stir fry with a bowl of rice or eat it as a stand-alone meal.
Health Benefits of Soy
Soy is a rich source of isoflavones, a type of phytoestrogens. Despite some controversies around soy, evidence so far shows that soy has protective health effects when consumed as part of a healthful, well-balanced diet. Potential benefits include: balancing estrogen, reducing cholesterol and blood pressure, and mitigating cancer risk, and protecting bones.
Find Out Benefits of Soy and Easy Recipes
Serving Size: 4
Ingredients for General Tso’s Tofu
- Firm tofu, 300 gram, drained and cubed
- Gluten-Free Tamari Sauce, 1 Tablespoon
- Low-carb brown sweetener, 1 Tablespoon
- Arrowroot Flour, 3 Tablespoon
- Avocado oil for stir frying
Ingredients For General Tso’s Sauce
- Ginger, minced, 1 teaspoon
- Garlic, minced, 1 teaspoon
- Chinese red chili pepper flakes, 1/4 teaspoon
- Bell pepper, 1, cut into chunks
- Water, 1 Cup
- Broccoli florets, 1 Cup
- Gluten-Free Tamari Sauce, 2 Tablespoon
- Vinegar, 2 Tablespoon
- Low-Carb brown sweetener, 2 Tablespoon
- Arrowroot Slurry: arrowroot flour, 1 Tablespoon mixed with water, 1 Tablespoon
- Sesame Seeds, 1 Tablespoon
Instructions for General Tso’s Tofu
1.Drain tofu and put something heavy on top for 15 minutes to take out excess water.
2.Cut tofu into small cubes. In a medium size bowl, marinate tofu cubes with tamari sauce and sweetener. Add arrowroot flour and coat tofu evenly.
3.Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Pour a generous amount of avocado oil and pan fry tofu for about 2 minutes each side until the surface turns golden brown. Set aside.
4.Add ginger and garlic to the skillet and cook until soft. Stir fry red chili flakes and bell pepper. Pour water and let it boil. Add broccoli.
5.In a small bowl, mix tamari sauce, vinegar, and sweetener to make a sauce.
6.Add the sauce into the skillet. In a small bowl, mix 1 Tablespoon of arrowroot flour and 1 Tablespoon of water to make a slurry. Pour the slurry into the skillet and stir well until the sauce thickens.
7.Add back the pan fried tofu and mix well with the sauce. Sprinkle sesame seeds over the stir fry. Serve with rice or as a stand alone meal.
Watch How to Make General Tso’s Tofu
Other Gluten-Free Healthy Meals You Might Like
- Beef Lettuce Wrap
- Cajun Blackened Salmon
- Chickpea Clam Pasta
- Chili Lime Steak
- Chili Shrimp
- Crispy Skin Barramundi
- Galbi (Korean barbecue)
- Garlic Lemon Chicken Legs
- Ginger Scallion Fish
- Grilled Pineapple Fish
- Honey Garlic Shrimp
- Lemon Garlic Herb Sea Bass
- Lemon Garlic Shrimp
- Miso Salmon
- Mussel Pasta
- Pan Fried Whole Fish
- Pomegranate Salmon
- Saba Misoni
- Salt and Pepper Fish
- Spice Chicken
- Sweet Chili Grilled Chicken
- Sweet Chili Shrimp Skewers
- Teriyaki Salmon
- Teriyaki Tofu Skewers
- Tofu Lettuce Wrap
- Tortilla Chips
- Vegan Chickpea Wrap
- Walnut Shrimp
- Zesty Shrimps with Avocado Dip