This pan fried whole fish is inspired by a popular Asian New Year dish. Use Tamari sauce (check the label to make sure) if you are following a gluten free diet.
Serving Size: 4
- 2 whole fish (porgies, flounder, or sole), cleaned and descaled
- Sea salt to sprinkle on fish
- Ginger, 1 Tablespoon, sliced
- Soy sauce or Tamari, 2 Tablespoon
- Shaoxing Wine, 2 Tablespoon
- Water, 2 Tablespoon
- Low-carb sweetener, 1 teaspoon
- Sesame oil, 1 teaspoon
- Scallions, chopped
- White pepper, 1/8 teaspoon
- Wash fish and pat dry. Sprinkle sea salt on both sides and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat the frying pan at a medium high heat. Add sliced ginger and stir fry until soft.
- Put the whole fish in the frying pan. Turn down the heat to medium. Pan fry the fish for five minutes on one side. Add more oil if necessary. Flip to the other side when the fish looks golden brown. Pan fry for another five minutes.
- In a separate bowl, add sweetener, water, soy sauce or Tamari, sesame oil, and white pepper to make sauce.
- Pour Shaoxing wine around the frying pan. Pour the soy sauce/tamari sauce mix and let it simmer. Add chopped scallions.
- Turn off the heat and serve the fish.