Reduced in carb but packed with flavor and nutrition, this tangerine beef is easy to make and tasty. It’s a perfect dish for a Asian food night or Lunar New Year celebration.
Serving Size: 4
- Flank steak, 400g, thinly sliced
- Corn starch, 1 Tablespoon
- Oil, 1 Tablespoon
- Tangerines, 2
- Low-carb sweetener, 1 Tablespoon
- Water, 1 Tablespoon
- Ginger, minced, 1 teaspoon
- Five spice powder, 1/8 teaspoon
- Red pepper flakes, a pinch
- Dried tangerine skin, a few pieces
- Garlic, minced, 1 Tablespoon
- Soy sauce or Tamari, 3 Tablespoon
- Low-carb brown sweetener, 2 Tablespoon
- Thinly slice the beef across the grain.
- Mix oil and cornstarch and marinate beef. Set aside for 1 hour.
- Peel fresh tangerines. Slice the peel in thin strips. Squeeze juice from the tangerines and set aside.
- Stir fry the tangerine peels. Mix 1 tablespoon of water and 1 tablespoon of low-carb sweetener to make a syrup. Pour the syrup over the tangerine peels. Set aside the candied peels.
- Grease the frying pan with a generous amount of oil. At a high heat, cook the beef slices. Set aside.
- Add ginger, five spice powder, red pepper flakes, and dried tangerine skin. Add garlic. Pour soy sauce or Tamari, tangerine juice, and brown sweetener and let it simmer.
- Add beef and candied tangerine peels. Sprinkle scallions for garnish.