Health benefits of Tofu
Soy is a rich source of isoflavones, a type of phytoestrogens. Despite some controversies around soy, evidence so far shows that soy has protective health effects when consumed as part of a healthful, well-balanced diet. Potential benefits include: balancing estrogen, reducing cholesterol and blood pressure, and mitigating cancer risk, and protecting bones.
Ingredients for Sweet and Sour Tofu
- Firm tofu, about 450 gram (15.5 oz)
- Onion, ½, chopped
- Red bell pepper, ½, chopped
- Yellow bell pepper, ½, chopped
- Garlic, 2 cloves, minced
- Arrowroot flour for coating tofu, 4 Tablespoon
- Avocado oil for pan frying tofu
- Low-carb ketchup, 1 Tablespoon
- Tamari sauce (check the label to make sure it’s gluten free), 1 Tablespoon
- Sea salt, ¼ teaspoon
- Rice vinegar, 3 Tablespoon
- Low-carb brown sweetener, 4 Tablespoon
- Water, ⅓ Cup
Instructions for Sweet and Sour Tofu
1.Drain tofu. Put something heavy on top to remove excess water for about fifteen minutes.
2.Chop onion, red pepper, and yellow pepper. Mince garlic. Set aside.
3.Pat dry tofu with paper towels. Cut tofu into bite size cubes.
4.Coat tofu cubes evenly with arrowroot flour.
5.Heat oil on a large frying pan over medium high heat. Pan fry tofu on each side until brown. Take out the tofu from the pan and set aside.
6.Put chopped onion and bell pepper in the pan. Add minced garlic and cook until soft.
7.Add ketchup, tamari sauce, sea salt, rice vinegar, and brown sweetener to the pan. Add water to the mix and stir for a couple of minutes until slightly reduced.
8.Return tofu to the pan and mix well with the sauce. Turn off the heat and serve.
Watch How to Make This Recipe
Other Vegan Dishes
- Agedashi Tofu
- Avocado Hummus
- Cauliflower Stuffing
- Chickpea Cauliflower Curry
- Chickpea Meatball in Creamy Curry Sauce
- Chickpea Meatball Pasta
- Eggplant Chickpea Stew
- Eggplant in Sesame Sauce
- Eggplant Lentil Salad with Miso Dressing
- Lentil Curry
- Miso Glazed Eggplant
- Roasted Sweet Potato and Broccoli
- Salt and Pepper Tofu
- Tofu with Spicy Sauce